While people are ready to pack their bags for some adventure, travel today is not the same as it was pre-pandemic. Here are some things to think about while you go about your planning for post COVID travel.
Before You Go
- Don’t wait until the last minute to book. Hotel and rentals book up quickly as demand is high for destinations like National Parks, Mexico, and the West Coast.
- Understand the cancellation terms of your hotel or rental.
- Make dining reservations early, especially for weekend travel.
- If traveling abroad, understand and research the travel protocols for each country.
- If a COVID-19 test or vaccination is required, make sure you take the correct one, and that you time the test according to the protocols of each country.
- Print out every document you need related to entry regulations – like COVID-19 test results or vaccination information – and have them easily accessible ( i.e. not in your checked luggage). I suggest investing in a small cross body bag, like this, for easy of travel.
- Be flexible. Post COVID travel can mean flights can change, restaurants can open and close, and requirements can also change quickly.
Post Covid Travel Favorites
While On Vacay
- Be prepared for a different travel experience. The restaurant/hotel/country you loved years ago may not be the same as it is now.
- Embrace the change with an open mind.
- Stay patient. Some travelers are overjoyed to visit destinations they would have never considered before; others are frustrated at restrictions and protocols.
- Appreciate the gift of service. Be grateful that someone else is making your bed, pouring your cocktail, preparing your dinner, and guiding your trip.
- Thank everyone you meet for still being here to take care of us and remember that hospitality is a way of life for them.
Craving more travel inspiration? Head to my travel archive and check out some of the trips my family and I have taken over the years — from road trips across National Parks to Nile cruises in Egypt.