As a follow up to my post on the best tiki bars in Phoenix, I wanted to share a Skinny Mai Tai recipe for those of you who prefer to enjoy your tiki drinks at home. I find that tropical rum drinks can sometimes be loaded with sugar, so I cut out a lot of the fuss and pared the ingredients down to the basics of rum, triple sec, and fresh orange and lime juices with a splash of sparkling water.
The key to a flavorful drink is high quality aged rum for the float and fresh juices. Try your hand at this Skinny Mai Tai recipe and let me know how you like it. And to my brother who is celebrating his 60th sipping on Mai Tais in Waikiki from the patio of the Outrigger Canoe Club, through my jealousy I wish you a wonderful birthday weekend! 😘
Skinny Mai Tai
- 2 oz. white rum
- 1 oz. triple sec or orange curaçao
- 2 oz. club soda or sparkling water
- 4 oz. fresh squeezed orange juice (blood orange when in season is very flavorful)
- 1 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz. dark, aged rum
- garnish with pineapple slices, maraschino cherries, and mint
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the white rum, triple sec, sparkling water, orange and lime juices. Pour over a glass filled with ice. Slowly add the aged rum and garnish. Enjoy!