For my first recipe of 2021, I am going to share my Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich with you. This sandwich is one of my most popular Instagram posts, and the ingredients are easy to find. A friend of mine is in lockdown in England and requested I post some lockdown dishes. Canned chickpeas are a great staple for your pantry, and I have used them in many of my recipes here and here.
To start, smash the chickpeas with just a hint of water. Since chickpeas are a legume, they naturally tend to take on a creamy, chunky consistency. The lemon juice tends to balance the earthy flavor of the chickpeas, and by tossing in celery, cucumbers and red onions, the sandwich gets a nice crunch. Agave syrup (can sub maple syrup) adds a bit of sweetness that is barely detectable, while the ground coriander, cilantro, and chives are some complementary herbs. You can substitute many of these ingredients for what you have on hand. Remember, a recipe is meant to be a guide. I encourage you to layer this salad on your favorite grain bread topped with microgreens, and you’ve got yourself a winning lunch in no time! xoM
Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 15.5 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup Persian cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp chives, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- microgreens for garnish
- Vegenaise (optional)
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- In a large bowl, mash chickpeas and a dash of water with a fork until a chunky texture is achieved. Add celery, cucumber, red onion, lemon juice, agave syrup, crushed red pepper, coriander, cilantro, and chives. Fold gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, divide microgreens and chickpea mash evenly among 2 slices of bread slathered with Vegenaise (optional). Top with more microgreens and the remaining slices of bread and enjoy.
All photos by Marci Symington for TEXAZTASTE.com.