Did you know that the American Bison is the national mammal of the United States? The largest mammal on our continent, bison are truly magnificent. While many use the words buffalo and bison interchangeably, the animal that most Americans call a buffalo is in reality a bison. You see, buffaloes are found in Africa and South Asia, while bison are native to North and South America. Bison meat has generated a lot of buzz in the culinary world as an alternative to red meat. Bison is a leaner source of protein than beef, as it contains less fat and calories, so when I think of grilling burgers, I reach for, what I affectionately call, my Best-Ever Bison Burger Recipe.
How much less fat and calories does bison have compared to beef? According to the USDA, a standard four-ounce serving of bison meat contains about 124 calories, 6 grams of fat, and 17 grams of protein. For comparison, a beef patty of the same size contains nearly double the calories at 224 calories, double the grams of fat at 14 grams, and only slightly more protein at 21 grams. The significant calorie difference is mostly due to the low fat content in bison meat. So if you are looking to cut fat but not flavor, remember that beef has more than double the fat content than bison.
Additionally, bison is not treated with antibiotics or growth hormones while being raised on the open range. They eat hay or grass for a majority of their lifetimes, whereas cows can spend their entire lives on industrial feed lots. In sum, I have made a case why you should try these Bison Burgers as bison meat is a sustainable resource that can also benefit your health, but more importantly, you need to try them because they are really tasty! Have a try at my bison burger recipe and lmk what you think! xoM
- 2 lbs. ground bison
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 onion, grated or finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 6 slices of Jack cheese
- butter lettuce leaves
- sliced red onion
- sliced tomatoes
- 6 hamburger buns
- In a large bowl, combine bison, Worcestershire sauce, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, ground mustard, ketchup, chives and Italian parsley. Form into 6 patties that are slightly larger than your hamburger buns. Let sit at room temp for 30 minutes.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side. NOTE: because of the low fat content of bison, these burgers will cook faster than beef patties. Remove from heat. Add cheese slices (optional). Place in a 250 degree F oven to melt cheese for 5 minutes.
- Serve on buns or on lettuce cups for a gluten free option. Accompany burgers with lettuce, tomatoes and onion.
Looking for more easy and healthy family dinners? Check out my Health, Wellness & Recipes archive for more tasty ideas!